A lifetime of singing hot jazz, cool blues,and
hard-hitting songs from all over the world!
A Lifetime of Hot Jazz,
Cool Blues and Songs for
Peace & Justice
THE LATEST NEWS
Born in 1927, Dane will be 94 in May of 2021
• The New York Times published a feature story profiling Barbara Dane on Sunday February 14th, 2021
• The documentary film project The Nine Lives of Barbara Dane is in production, directed by Maureen Gosling. Your donation is needed to help finish the film
• Barbara is currently finishing her autobiography which will be published next year.
• The Barbara Dane Archive of correspondence and memorabilia are being catalogued and a treasure trove of reel to reel tapes with never-released live recordings of Barbara have been discovered, including performances with Memphis Slim and Willie Dixon, a concert/rally with Pete Seeger and a studio session with Doc Watson.
• In January, 2021 Smithsonian Folkways created a digital Paredon Records 50th Anniversary Exhibition, honoring the label co-founded by Barbara Dane and Irwin Silber. The Exhibition highlights the label's impact and historic catalog including an overview by Dane, a complete discography and album art, playlists, archived photography, and more.
• Smithsonian/Folkways released a 2-CD retrospective in Feb 2018 "Barbara Dane: Hot Jazz, Cool Blues & Hard-Hitting Songs" with selections from their catalog along with some of the recently discoverd archival gems.
• The historic LP “Barbara Dane and the Chambers Brothers” was re-issued on vinyl in early 2018.
• Barbara celebrated her 91st birthday in May of 2018 with a sold out concert at Berkeley's Freight & Salvage shortly after. This article appeared in Berkeleyside to commemorate the occasion.
• UCLA’s Center for the Art of Performance honored Barbara with a special birthday concert at Royce Hall on October 21st, 2017 with special guests The Chambers Brothers, Pablo Menéndez and Osamu.
• SFJAZZ celebrated Barbara's 90th year at the Miner Theater on July 13th, 2017 with special guests, The Chambers Brothers.
• In February of 2017, Barbara received the Spirit of Folk Award at the Folk Alliance International’s 29th annual conference.
• In December 2016 Barbara received an honorary membership to Cuba’s UNEAC (National Union of Writers and Artists) and she performed at Havana’s Casa de las Americas, celebrating the 50th anniversary of her historic 1966 travel-ban-defying concert tour of the country. And in May 2017 she was awarded a special honor by Cubadisco for the 45th anniversary of Cuba's Nueva Trova movement.
• In the summer of 2016 Barbara released a new recording “Throw It Away...” with a trio led by pianist Tammy Hall which was celebrated with two sold-out shows at Yoshi’s in Oakland.
• The Barbara Dane Legacy Project was launched in early 2016 with an advisory board that includes such luminaries as David Amram, Judy Collins, Jane Fonda, Gary Giddins, Ed Pearl, Bonnie Raitt, Silvio Rodriguez, Dan Sheehy, Chris Strachwitz and others.