A Lifetime of Hot Jazz,
Cool Blues and Songs for
Peace & Justice
THE LATEST NEWS
Born in 1927, Dane turned 91 in May of 2018 and celebrated with a concert at Berkeley's Freight & Salvage shortly after. This article appeared in Berkeleyside to commemorate the occasion.
• Barbara is currently finishing her autobiography which will be published next year.
• Barbara's archives of correspondence and memorabilia are being catalogued and a treasure trove of reel to reel tapes with never-released live recordings of Barbara have been discovered, including performances with Memphis Slim and Willie Dixon, a concert/rally with Pete Seeger and a studio session with Doc Watson.
• Smithsonian/Folkways released a 2-CD retrospective in Feb 2018 with selections from their catalog along with never-released archival gems and her historic LP “Barbara Dane and the Chambers Brothers” was also re-issued on vinyl in early 2018.
• SFJAZZ celebrated Barbara's 90th year at the Miner Theater on July 13th, 2017
• UCLA’s Center for the Art of Performance honored Barbara with a special birthday concert at Royce Hall on October 21st, 2017
• In the summer of 2016 Barbara released a new recording “Throw It Away...” with a trio led by pianist Tammy Hall which was celebrated with two sold-out shows at Yoshi’s in Oakland.
• The Barbara Dane Legacy Project was launched in 2016 with an advisory board that includes such luminaries as David Amram, Judy Collins, Jane Fonda, Gary Giddins, Ed Pearl, Bonnie Raitt, Silvio Rodriguez, Dan Sheehy, Chris Strachwitz and others.
• In December 2016 Barbara received an honorary membership to Cuba’s UNEAC (National Union of Writers and Artists) and she performed at Havana’s Casa de las Americas, celebrating the 50th anniversary of her historic 1966 travel-ban-defying concert tour of the country. And in May 2017 she was awarded a special honor by Cubadisco for the 45th anniversary of Cuba's Nueva Trova movement.
• In February of 2017, Barbara received the Spirit of Folk Award at the Folk Alliance International’s 29th annual conference.